This week’s cocktail is inspired, in part, by a series of exchanges between Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan as Joe Fox and Kathleen Kelly, respectively. Joe and Kathleen are speculating about the origin of the number 152 in Kathleen’s internet crush’s handle (spoiler alert: it’s Joe!).
Joe Fox: Mr. 152 Felony indictments.
Kathleen Kelly: Mr. 152 insights into my soul.
Joe Fox: Oh yeah. No competing with that.
It turned out to be his address, as evidenced by a masterful sideways glance by Tom Hanks. Gosh, he’s good.
If by chance we were to use one of my old usernames, our cocktail tonight might’ve been inspired by “skittle4” (Skittle, the candy I was likely shoving into my mouth as my dad asked what I wanted my username to be, was taken), then the troublingly emo “shadeofred” and “starsfadetogrey”— that’s grey with an ‘e.’
There is actually a pretty great Earl Grey French 75 recipe out there somewhere that I’ve been meaning to try, so maybe I’ll find a way to work that in sometime. Joey, on the other hand, is and has always been DeLorean27. Not sure what Back to the Future cocktails that might inspire, but Tab might be involved. Or a Pepsi Free. That we’d pay for.
152 Insights Cocktail
- 1.5 oz gin (we used Beefeater, and it was delicious!)
- 1 oz Rosemary Ginger Simple Syrup (more or less to taste)
- Stir/shake, pour over clean ice, top with club soda, seltzer or Soda Stream
Serve in 12/16 ounce glass of your choice; lemon/ginger candy garnish optional
Rosemary Ginger Simple Syrup
- 1 cup refined white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (about half the bunch)
- 2 tablespoons ginger (peeled and roughly chopped)
- Simmer until sugar is dissolved, remove rosemary and ginger; once cool, strain and refrigerate for up to a week.